Motor Vehicle Accidents are always very stressful no matter how serious they are. There’s of course the damage to the vehicle. But the most stressful and serious damage is to your health. Injuries can be various. Minor or major. In many cases what seems like a minor injury can turn into more serious few years down the road. It is always smart and highly recommended to discuss your accident with a medical doctor who will determine what your next steps should be.  

The most important next step is of course your treatment and getting your body back to normal as much as possible. Unfortunately the treatments one requires after an accident are often costly. That’s where your insurance comes in. In order to get an insurance coverage you are required to deal with some paperwork. Which could be yet another stress.

Our Chiropractor, Dr. Josef Csumrik, DC, is experienced in dealing with Motor Vehicle Accidents patients and the paperwork it comes with. Here is a short overview of needed steps and documents. Read it through and then go ahead and book an appointment with Dr. Csumrik – either online (click here) or call our clinic at 416-913-5170. 

What's the procedure?

  1. Report the accident to your broker, agent, or insurance company and make sure to have all the relevant facts in hand:
  • the name of the registered owner’s insurance company and his/her auto insurance policy number;
  • the make, model, year, registration and licence plate number of the vehicle;
  • details regarding the accident.
  1. Read Your Policy:

It’s a good idea to sit down and thoroughly read your Ontario Automobile Policy (OAP 1). It provides specific details about your insurance coverage, your rights and your responsibilities under the contract.

  1. Once your claim is reported, you will be contacted by the claims adjuster assigned to your file.

To support your claim, you may also be required to complete a claim form, also known as a Proof of Loss form (a sworn statement in support of your claim).

What to Expect If You’ve Been Injured

Statutory Accident Benefits Coverage is provided by law under every auto insurance policy in Ontario. Because the regulations (Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule, or SABS) are provincially mandated, the coverage provided is standard among insurance companies.

Statutory Accident Benefits provide compensation, regardless of fault, if you, your passengers, or pedestrians suffer injury or death in an auto accident.

For example, if you are injured in an auto accident, you may be entitled to the following accident benefits:

  • Income Replacement: This benefit compensates you for lost income.
  • Non-earner: This benefit provides compensation if you are completely unable to carry on a normal life and do not qualify for an Income Replacement or Caregiver benefit.
  • Caregiver: If you qualify for this benefit, it provides compensation for some expenses incurred when you cannot continue as the main caregiver for a member of your home who is in need of care.
  • Medical: This benefit pays for medical expenses incurred when you are injured.
  • Rehabilitation: This benefit pays for rehabilitation expenses incurred when you are injured.
  • Attendant Care: This benefit compensates you for some of the expense of an aide or attendant.
  • Compensation for Other Expenses: These benefits pay for some other expenses such as the cost of family visiting you during treatment or recovery. It may also pay for some housekeeping and home maintenance, the repair or replacement of some items lost or damaged in the accident, and some lost educational expenses.

Applying for Accident Benefits

When applying for accident benefits, ask your claims adjuster to outline the procedures you must follow.

As a first step, he or she will provide you with an Accident Benefits Application Package.

In order for your accident benefits claim to be processed, you will need to complete all those sections of each form that pertain to your situation.

Once your insurance company has received and reviewed your Accident Benefits Application Package, it will inform you in writing of which accident benefits you can expect to receive and which portions of your claim, if any, the company is not prepared to pay for.

In the meantime, book an appointment with a physiotherapist or chiropractor asap (click here to book with our Chiropractor or call our clinic 416-913-5170). They will get in contact with your adjuster and submit an application for funding.

Do you have Extended Health Benefits?

All extended health benefits (EHB) must be used up before motor vehicle insurance is applied.

For more detailed info visit:

Hours Of Operation

Clinic Hours
Monday-Friday   8AM–9PM
Saturday   10AM–6PM
Sunday   11AM-6PM

Shop Hours
Monday-Friday   11AM-8PM
Saturday   11AM-6PM
Sunday   12PM-5PM

Please follow & like us :)